Thursday, October 27, 2016

End of Quarter Reflection

     One goal I would like to accomplish this year is my 10 book challenge. So far I have read 4 books: Paper Towns, The Slight Edge, The Giver, and Of Mice and Men. I am almost done with a book called For One More Day by Mitch Albom. One strategy I am currently using is writing down what chapter I’m going to leave off and also I write down the day. For example: Monday leave off at chapter 5, Tuesday leave off at chapter 11. This strategy helps me manage my time wisely so I can read more books, I will probably change my 10 book challenge to a 15 book challenge. Another strategy I use is: an hour before I go to bed I read the chapters I have to read so the next day during school I can keep reading where I left off. This strategy helps me not forget what happened in the book and it helps me finish the chapters I have to read for the day. I also keep a list of the books I read in my ELA notebook, and on my IPad along with a short summary of what the book is about. I do this because I’m going to read many books and I will forget what the other books were about, and there is honestly no point in reading a book if you are going to forget the message it's trying to tell. I am proud of myself because I didn’t read a lot before, and now I am reading almost everyday and this helps me improve my vocabulary and my reading skills.


        I think that my writing has progressed in many good ways because I have learned many new things. Before I came to eighth grade I was okay at writing. I knew that I had to start with a topic sentence, and I knew how to introduce quotes and all those things but I was always subjective. Now I know how to be objective in my writing, I also learned about TIQA. This has helped me become better at writing because I know that I was writing the wrong way, so now I can fix my mistakes and I can write so much faster. I learned about different types of writing and now I know how to use them. I am looking forward to learn more things because it has helped me improve my writing skills for high school and college.

       There are many goals I have for ELA in the next 3 quarters. Some goals are finishing my book challenge and learn new words, finish work on time, get more 4s than 3s, improve my reading/writing skills, organize my notes/papers. I think that these goals will help me improve because when I finish my book challenge I will know more words and this helps me expand my vocabulary. Finishing work on time is important because if I don't do that then I will have to work 2x harder and I will be behind. I will also like to learn new things and improve my reading and writing skills because this will help me understand pieces of writing and I will have a higher Lexile level.


No comments:

Post a Comment